The "Perfect Love" - During Death

THE "PERFECT LOVE" - DURING DEATH

November 9, 2015
© by Ronald Kern
It was a day like any other for Glenn O’Dell, at his home in a rural city in Idaho, on September 23, 2009. 

“I remember it like yesterday,” he told me. “I had just finished lunch and sat down in my den with 3 or 4 pieces of licorice and all of a sudden, 'wham' in the chest. It was excruciating pain and I instantly knew it was a heart attack.”

Glenn did his best to make a croaking sound (it was hard to make any sound due to lack of oxygen and intense pain), and gained the attention of his son Shawn. Glenn told him to drive to the city of Kuna and find paramedics, so Shawn loaded him in the car and off they went. Along the way they came to a railroad crossing and a train was passing through, which forced them to stop. “I remember seeing the train and it was moving so slow, I focused on my breathing, which helped me calm down,” Glenn said. 

The bad luck and timing of the train was offset by the vehicle in front of them, which was also waiting for the train to pass. The vehicle happened to be an Ada County Police Officer, who Shawn quickly updated on the dire situation. The officer radioed for an ambulance, which arrived promptly. At this point, Glenn was “in and out” but does recall hearing the siren, which was music to his ears.
Glenn then recalls arriving in the emergency room, where they cut off his clothes and gave him the news. Two blood clots, which likely came loose from a previous knee surgery, were the cause of his heart attack. One blood clot was 17 centimeters long, while the other was 11 centimeters. One went to both lungs while the other traveled to the right ventricles of his heart. For perspective, that equates to 6.7” and 4.3” respectively, almost the length of a ruler combined.

While the doctor was sharing the dismal news, Glenn was in and out of consciousness, but at one point opened his eyes and all of his family were standing around him. Did Glenn have a living will? Would heroic life-saving measures be used? These difficult topics confirmed what everyone already knew: the situation was a very serious one.
As Glenn was wheeled into the operating room he remembers it being very cold. The anesthesiologist told him that once asleep, a tube was going to be placed down his throat. Glenn jokingly replied with, “Thanks for that.”

Surgery began and the physicians were wearing optical glasses, sterilized suits, masks, goggles and face shields, and many tools, tubes and machines surrounded the table. 


Suddenly Glenn realized that he was above the room looking down at everything taking place. He was even above the lights that hung on the ceiling and his first thought was, “I’ve been abducted by spacemen!” From Glenn’s high vantage point, it could easily resemble spacemen poking and prodding a subject.

“My chest was broken wide open, and there was a drape in front of my head, and as I looked down everyone was working diligently, but not in a panic or chaotic manner.” Seeing this, one could estimate that fear would be the most notable emotion but not so in Glenn’s case. “I looked around further, but all I felt was a fantastic peace. I felt so loved, like being embraced and never being let go; it was an awesome feeling.”

Many people experiencing a near-death experience (NDE) speak of seeing a bright white light. Glenn’s light was, “more of a sunset color, warm and comforting, and I felt myself being led to it, and I wanted to go. The light was the most incredible high, which neither words or emotions can describe how wonderful it was.  “I thought at this exact moment I had indeed died, and I couldn’t have been more happy!”
 I asked him if he saw family or friends who died before him, Jesus, or the Pearly Gates. He said, “No.” I asked if that concerned him and he said, “I didn’t care as I felt so incredibly loved and good, it really didn’t matter. I have never felt so loved and had such a sense of immersion of goodness. The English language doesn’t offer any words that can describe this feeling.” Glenn said that the closest description he can use, which still falls well short, is “Perfect Love.”

The 8-hour surgery was finally complete, and he was wheeled into recovery. He woke up to a lot of pain and was immediately very upset about it, but much more so that this wonderful feeling and experience were no longer happening.

Over the next several weeks his body was making progress to recover, but his mind and mental state were not. “I was so upset and depressed that I lived,” he said.
I asked him if he would choose his NDE over everything and everyone he has ever encountered in his entire life. Glenn quickly and without hesitation said, “In a heartbeat.”  I thought that if you are willing to cast aside everything you have ever known for something, that “something” must be absolutely inconceivable.

This extraordinary journey he had taken was so powerful that he wanted nothing else but to go back to it. It was clear that the perfect love he felt, the comfort and sense of belonging and peace, knowing all was just right, had been the most wondrous experience ever for him, and he wanted it back, period. Glenn became more depressed and angry for several months afterwards, for “being short circuited from completing my transition.” This feeling of peace and perfection was so great that Glenn even considered suicide.

The many lessons Glenn took away from his visit were insightful and incredible. “It was like being plugged into a 'super-computer' and instantly I had answers to all of my questions. I was exposed to truth and that we all have a purpose here on earth; there weren’t any secrets.”

Glenn relayed to me the many lessons he learned during his NDE, all of which he hopes people take seriously, as it could change their life. “Do not fear death and live every single moment, in that moment. It’s real, folks,” he said.

I let my mind marinate on this and it was so simple in theory but hard to truly comprehend. If you don’t fear death, then what possibly could bother you or cause you fear here on earth? If you don’t fear death, as you know there is more afterwards, don’t you think you would really, sincerely, and truly start to “live?”

I suppose it’s easier to not fear it if you have personally had an NDE, but then again, perhaps that is where faith steps in. Glenn added, “So many cause themselves to suffer with bills, dreams, finances, prestige, relationships and countless other items. Don’t sweat the details and get caught up in unimportant things.”

Glenn continued with more lessons. “Everyone is connected in some way, so know this prior to casting judgment. Spend more time with your loved ones and value and cherish the times you have.”  Glenn also added firmly, “Fame, fortune, and material things mean nothing — family means everything.” I should also add here that he mentioned this several times during our conversation.

I shifted gears at this point and played the part of a non-believer, someone on the fence, or even an atheist. I asked Glenn, “What would you say to someone who thinks your story was a fluke, not real, was due to lack of oxygen, the drugs they gave you, or just hallucinations?” Glenn responded confidently, “I know the truth when I was plugged in and connected. There is a purpose to your life.”

I want to mention that Glenn O’Dell is a very private person. He doesn’t stand on a corner shouting about his experience, nor does he try to change, convert, or impress others with it. He has done well and is respected in business, is content with being at home with his family, and doesn’t venture too far off, typically. Glenn also completed 31 years of military service in the Army, where he reached the rank of colonel, the fifth highest position you can hold.

I don’t believe Glenn has an agenda or motive in sharing his experience, other than to help comfort and share what he experienced with 110 percent certainty. Glenn is in the minority of people that “look forward to death,” which he said with a grin on his face. He has no benefit or gain in coming up with or exaggerating a story, and frankly, I was surprised he agreed to sit down for an interview. He said he was ready to get his story out if it would help others. He shares his NDE so that anyone reading this is aware that there is “The Perfect Love” waiting for them.

I prepared myself with great research on this topic, both people who believe near-death experiences exist, and equally of those who do not. Additionally, I spent hours looking up medical possibilities for NDE’s, such as lack of oxygen, drugs, hallucinations and others. All of these in my estimation were, for lack of a better word, debunked. Although my complete findings can be found on my YouTube Channel, I do want to share the highlights.

A reason, claimed by many, say that NDE’s can’t exist as the Bible doesn’t allow or mention glimpses into Heaven, but agree you can (glimpse Heaven) but only after you have died. However in my research, that isn’t accurate. Stephen, Paul and John all saw Heaven while alive and were taken there. Stephen remarked about seeing Christ in Acts 7:56, Paul wasn’t as eager to talk about his experience but did in 2 Corinthians 12:1-4, and John relayed his visit in Revelations. 

I am not one to judge who has or hasn’t had a glimpse into Heaven, but I do agree that any NDE should be evaluated closely. This would include considering the source, how it relates (or contradicts) the Bible, or the motive behind it. 

Using military language, Glenn feels he has been “given an additional mission” by not dying that day. He uses this story to help veterans who may be close to dying, and hopes his experience brings comfort to them. He also is a huge advocate for veterans and assists them with benefits after getting discharged, and also has a store called “Vets 4 Success” which is a way to help them without the government’s involvement or assistance.

I think some may find it harder than others to consider or believe experiences like Glenn’s, as it isn’t something tangible and not 100 percent supported by science, which is why “faith” is such a critical word. Nobody can, with all certainty, prove or disprove if these types of near-death experiences take place, so it’s easier to not believe until it’s “proven” to them. Our society has become obsessed with requiring physical proof before believing. I am sure you have felt love, joy, peace or contentment in your life, right? You cannot see these emotions, so do they exist? The actions from these emotions might be visible, but not the emotions themselves.

Either way he knows that people who have passed away are now enjoying “The Perfect Love.” When he hears about someone passing away he now thinks they are the lucky ones, experiencing full time what he had a glimpse into.

I believe a fitting scripture to close with is John 20:29, “Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.'”

To learn more about his Glenn's non-profit organization Vets4Success click here.


Ronald Kern might be considered the epitome of an entrepreneur.   He was the founder and CEO of a multimillion-dollar private investigation company, which started in the basement of his parents home and became one of the top five (5) investigation firms in the United States.  It, as were his multitude of other businesses, was sold in late 2013 allowing him to "retire" at the age of 44.  Since retirement, he started Passion In Action International which focuses on three main categories;  Individuals, Entrepreneurs, and Existing Businesses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter Begins - (Published November 11, 2013)

The #1 Way To Live A Truly Free And Fulfilling Life

Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History - Where was God?